Thursday, June 26, 2008

AIMCAT 0818 Results

Yes! AIMCAT 0818 results are out - and I am extremely elated by my performance, though there are many areas which need improvement. Also, I have to be very cautious not to turn complacent. After all, this mock was really easy and was a high scorer, though the DI section appeared a tad bit tougher to me. Here is how attempted the paper:

Started with Quant. I had a little slow start. I wasted quite an amount of time on the question based on venn diagrams and on the max/min question. But again gathered momentum. Interpretted the question on area bounded by curves completely wrong, and also wasted some time on the time/work question with no result. Other than that, I was moving pretty fast, leaving questions wherever they appeared to be on the tougher side. By the time I reached the 15/16th question, 45 mins were already over! Couldn't resist the temptation to solve some more questions. Ended up spending a little less than an hour. Attempted 18 questions, got 15 right 3 wrong. I still have to get over making mistakes - I made a really bad mistake in the time/distance set and made a wrong guess in the last question, apart from interpretting the graph question completely wrong. Quant - 57

Till now, I had been doing VA after Quant, but I had come decided that I would change by strategy - I would do DI second and VA atlast. I realized that by the time I start doing DI at the end, I get already exhausted and it becomes really difficult to put my grey matter at work. Looked at the DI sets - one by one. Tried to approach the first one, but found that the set outwitted me. Raalizing it, I switched to the last one as it seemed familiar. Started doing the set, filling the values of flow in all pipes, assuming the flow in one of them as 'x'. But after a lot of time, I realized that I had made a mistake. So had to do the entire calculation again!! This one set ate away about 35 minutes of my time, and I had already alotted 1 hour for math - so that left with me with just one more hour. Decided to shift the burden of time on VA. Saw the set on cricket scores - but soon realized that it was logic intensive and if I am not able to solve it - I will waste a lot of time. Then switched to the set on the growth rate of vehicles. Realized that the first two questions were sitters and did them soon. Then wasted some time on the third question just to realize that it was not so easy and was even calculation intensive. Then saw the second set, just reading it took a lot of my time. Though I realized that it was an easy set, I couldn't attempt it as I had really had very less time left and any attempt from now would be suicidal for my VA section. Attempted seven, got all seven correct. Was satisfied by my accuracy, but should have not made mistakes in the first set. Also, I shouldn't have taken more time on QA as it put a lot of time pressure on me, and I ended up making mistakes.

By the time I started VA, I had a little more than 40 minutes left with me. Started reading the last passage on environment, as the topic interested me. Got all the answers correct, except one. Took 10 minutes to complete answering the passage. Then went on to the passage on happiness, took 10 more minutes to answer all questions. Got all questions correct except the one on the mood of passage. (I had a dilemma that it could be reflective, but marked something else). Now went on to read the last passage it took more time read this one. Took 12 minutes and answered all questions, with one wrong. (The one on why the author wants people to come to the protest). Now went on to the correct ending of passage questions and got 2 of the 3 correct. (Got the one on government surveillance wrong). In the last minute, attempted one question on restatement (the Rafael Nadal one) and got it correct. In total, attempted 19, got 4 wrong. Amazing accuracy - but this is not the actual CAT, where it is bound to be low.

So here are my scores in the end:

DI - 28 - 91.23
QA - 57 - 99.31
VA - 56 - 98.54

OA - 141 - 99.52 (AIR - 132)

No comments: